The hotel’s history dates from the year 1909. An annex in the courtyard was first used as a home economics school and then as a hotel and restaurant. The current building was erected in 1938 by the contractor Bele Johansson and came to be called ”Stenbele” (Stone bele), while the older building was called ”Träbele” (Wood bele).
Conditions were tougher than they are today. The building contractor had an hourly wage of SEK 1.05 and an apprentice earned SEK 0.35. On weekdays they worked from 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. with a half hour for lunch and on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m. without a break!
On May 10, 1938 the Hotell Bele was opened, and soon became renowned for its S.O.S. (the Swedish designation for pickled herring, cheese, bread and butter) for lunch. The dining-room from that period is still in the same place, with a view of the pedestrian street in the centre of Trollhättan.
A few winter months in 1940 pilots and mechanics stayed at Hotell Bele. 43 American fighter planes were delivered in sections to Sweden and were assembled at Saab in Trollhättan. They were test-flown by American Robert A. Winston and then flown to Finland by Finnish pilots.
Other activities were more peaceful. During the years many festivities such as weddings have been held at Hotell Bele.
Old wooden ”TräBele” was torn down. But its name and operations live on in the new building under the direction of Ulrika Emanuelsson. The hotel has been entirely renovated and today has all the modern comforts. At the same time we have preserved the old-fashioned cosy atmosphere and personal service, as our guests can confirm.